Owensboro, KY 42303
Salary: $10.00 /hour
Wendell Foster offers a variety of benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, supplemental insurances, retirement contributions, paid holidays, and paid time off.
The Direct Support Professional (DSP) provides necessary assistance with individuals’ daily living needs in their own home and ensures person centered programming through the implementation of the person’s plan of care.
CLIENT SUPPORT FUNCTION:
The Direct Support Professional supports, teaches, and empowers individuals to become as independent as possible in their own homes and in the community. The Direct Support Professional supports the mission of WF by learning the interests, likes and dislikes, aspirations, and needs of the individuals he/she supports, offering opportunities for new experiences and developing creative ideas for implementing their goals and plans.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or G.E.D required.
- Upon hire, must complete all training required by the Division of Developmental and Intellectual Disabilities and become certified in CPR and first aid (training provided).
- Ability to drive personal vehicle, including possession of valid driver’s license, proof of insurance and reliable vehicle, due to nature of in-home services.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively and to comprehend and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Generally responsible.
- Must have basic money management skills.
- Must demonstrate cooking and housekeeping skills.
- Must have knowledge of local and community resources.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Understand the individuals’ rights and display respect and dignity when interacting with the individuals.
- Ensures the safety and well-being of individuals and implements plans of care.
- Understand departmental policy on the correct way to report any suspected form of abuse which may be observed and/or reported.
- Serve as a member of the individual’s support team.
- Provide training to facilitate the acquisition of each person’s chosen outcomes.
- Assistance with daily living in the person’s home such as: walking, getting dressed, personal hygiene, eating, using the toilet, bathing, meal planning and preparation, laundry, budgeting and financial assistance, home care and cleaning.
- Emotional support and advice, and assistance to help the individual work through problems.
- Communicate with the Coordinator of Community Services on a regular basis and as needed.
- Staff shall enter per contact notes in the individuals’ records which will be used as a basis for reviewing the support plan, and shall include but not be limited to the following:
- identification of the specific support services being delivered;
- documentation of implementation of the personal outcomes identified on the individual’s plan of care;
- pertinent information regarding the individual (e.g., behavior, special events);
- documentation of outcomes;
- Time In/Time Out;
- Signature and entitlement of provider. All entries involving subjective interpretation of the individual’s progress shall be supplemented with a description of the actual behavior observed. The individual’s progress and current status in meeting the goals of the support plan shall be recorded in the monthly note and more often as indicated.
Wendell Foster is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.