Assistive Technology (AT) is defined as “any item, piece of equipment or product system, whether acquired commercially off the shelf, modified, or customized, that is used to increase, maintain, or improve the functional capabilities of individuals with disabilities.” AT includes communication devices, adapted computer equipment, switches, environmental controls, seating, positioning, and mobility equipment, amplified phones, desktop and portable magnifiers, etc.
Wendell Foster is a participating member of the Kentucky Assistive Technology Services (KATS) Network whose mission is to make AT information, devices, and services easily obtainable throughout the state. We offer the following services:
- Device Demonstrations – Enables consumers to compare the features and benefits of similar devices to aid in decision making.
- Lending Library – Allows consumers to loan items on a trial basis to assist in decision making, to serve as a loaner while a device is being replaced, or to provide a short term accommodation.
- Training – We offer informal and professional trainings designed to increase knowledge and skills regarding AT.
- Reutilization Program – Assist consumers in obtaining used equipment at no cost.
Feel free to visit our statewide online inventory at www.katsnet.at4all.com.
We offer community resources for people with disabilities, families, educators, health care and service providers.
- Staff can provide information and assistance on a variety of disability topics and help navigate local and state resources.
- We provide learning opportunities throughout the year for families, professionals, and educators.