Thank you for participating in our 2021 race!
We’ll see you in 2022!
Join us for the third annual Wendell Foster Half Marathon on November 13, 2021! Our half marathon will offer a flat and fast route of Owensboro, Kentucky. The 13.1-mile race will be fully supported including some full and partial road closures. The race will start and finish on the riverfront by beautiful Smothers Park, which offers three signature fountains and an award-winning playground.
Mid-November will offer cooler temperatures, which will be perfect for the half marathon distance. There will be water stations conveniently placed along the course and the race will be professionally timed. Huge finisher medals will be given to those that complete the course. Plus, prize money will be awarded to the top competitors!
For 2021, we have also added the option of virtual race registration for those who don’t want to travel to our live race, or who prefer to not run with large crowds at this time. (Please see the Question and Answer section below.)
There will be a 4 hour course time limit to complete the race. You must be 13 years of age on race day to register. (Age restriction does NOT apply to those that are pushed in the “Running Stroller Division”).
When you run with us, you are directly supporting Wendell Foster’s mission of empowering people with disabilities! From all of us at Wendell Foster – thank you!
- 1st One Hundred to Register: $50
- Before April 1, 2021: $60
- April 1 to May 31, 2021: $70
- June 1 to August 31, 2021: $75
- September 1 to November 8, 2021: $80
- Virtual Option with Expo Pick-Up: $80
- Expo Registration (November 12, 2020): $90
- Virtual Option with race swag shipping: $90
- No Race Day Registration
- Registrations are final and no refunds will be issued
Even though we will be including additional safety measures due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are able to guarantee the in-person race will take place on November 13. To comply with local guidelines, the following safety practices are encouraged:
- According to the rules set in place by the Owensboro Convention Center, masks are required while in their building at the Half Marathon Expo on Friday, November 12, and at packet pick-up the morning of Saturday, November 13. We will have masks available.
- Social distancing is recommended at the start line. Pacers will be spread out down W. Veterans Blvd. We encourage runners to find their pace time and start close to their pacer.
We appreciate your participation, and look forward to returning to the starting line with you on November 13!
Running Stroller Division
The top three overall awards will be given for the Running Stroller Division. The division will consist of individuals with a disability who are pushed in a running stroller.
Please Note: Those being pushed, should register under the “Running Stroller Division.” Those that are pushing, should register under “Individual Half Marathon.”
Individual Half Marathon Awards
CASH will be given to the overall first, second, and third places of male and female winners!
*1st Place: $750 male/$750 female
2nd Place: $500 male/$500 female
3rd Place: $250 male/$250 female
*Due to the overall 1st place prize being over $600, 1st place cash winners will be required to sign a tax form on-site and provide a copy of their driver’s license prior to receiving their award. Virtual runners will not be eligible for awards.*
Age Group Awards:
A commemorative coaster award will be given to the top three in the following age groups for male and female:
13-15 • 16-19 • 20-24 • 25-29 • 30-34 • 35-39 • 40-44 • 45-49 • 50-54 • 55-59 • 60-64 • 65-69 • 70-74 • 75+
Due to it being a large-scale event, there will not be an awards ceremony. When awards are officially finalized they will be mailed to recipients.
Virtual Registration Q/A:
- Does virtual registration mean you are canceling the in-person race?
- Not at all! We are still receiving live registrations and plan on racing in-person in Owensboro on November 13th. We want to provide this option for those who don’t want to travel or prefer not to run with large crowds at this time. It is a personal preference to run live or virtually.
- What if I purchase a virtual race registration but later decide to run in-person on November 13th?
- We are easily able to change your race registration from virtual to live! If you change your mind before November 12th, please contact Race Director, Sarah Poole, and she will assist with the switch. Or, you can notify a member of the Half Marathon Committee at the Expo on November 12th when picking up your race packet.
- If I choose to run virtually, will I still get race swag?
- Absolutely! Virtual entries will still receive a bib, medal, shirt, hat, and sticker. If you switch to running in-person, we will simply remove your medal from your race packet when you pick it up at the Expo so that you can receive it on race day.
- Can I still place as a virtual runner?
- Unfortunately, the virtual option is not competitive at this time.
- If I choose the virtual registration with shipping, will I receive my swag before November 13th?
- Since runners can switch to a live option all the way up through the Expo, we will not ship race packets and swag until the week following the race.
- If I choose the virtual option and live within driving distance of the Owensboro Convention Center, can I still pick up my race packet and swag in person?
- Yes! We would love for you to come to the Expo, even if you choose to race virtually. We will have a separate pick-up line indicated for virtual registrations.
Sponsorship inquiries and questions regarding the race, please contact:
Sarah Poole, Race Director
Disclaimer: The information, advice, and training plans associated with the Wendell Foster Half Marathon are for educational purposes only. Before making any changes to your exercise habits and before implementing any information or training plans on this website, you should consult your physician. If you follow the advice or training plans, then you do so at your own risk. Neither Wendell Foster nor Owensboro Health, Inc. will not be responsible for any injuries or other health problems that you may suffer if you follow the advice or training plan.